Reckless Driving Charges in West Virginia
The experienced criminal defense attorneys at Adams Legal Group, PLLC in Morgantown, WV help provide a criminal defense to clients who have been charged with reckless driving in courts throughout the North-Central parts of the state of WV.
The Factors of a Reckless Driving Conviction
When deciding whether a driver is convicted of reckless driving, the court system may take several factors into consideration. The degree to which the driver was knowingly careless behind the wheel and how many others were impacted due to the behavior, can be what determines the resulting punishments. Other factors of whether a driver is convicted can include:
- The severity of the weather when the reckless driving incident occurred.
- Whether pedestrians were within close distance or hit by the driver due to the reckless behavior.
- Whether the reckless driving seriously risked the lives of others.
- If the behavior extended past negligence, where the driver was entirely aware of how recklessly he or she was maneuvering .
Examples of Reckless Driving
By law, there are certain driving actions that are considered reckless. However, the specific behaviors that are deemed reckless can depend on what state you live in. So, it is important that you meet with a misdemeanor attorney in Morgantown, WV to find out what laws apply for your state. Examples of reckless driving behavior are listed as follows:
- Speeding 25 MPH over the posted speed limit.
- Passing a car illegally, such as using opposite traffics lanes to get ahead.
- Tailgating another vehicle on the road.
- Running red lights or stop signs.
- Using your vehicle in a manner that is knowingly unsafe or risky.
- Racing on the public roads with other vehicles.
- Weaving in and out of traffic.
Repercussions for a Conviction For Reckless Driving
Drivers who are charged with a reckless driving offense may endure various repercussions, both financially and in regards to their freedom. A driver may have to pay thousands of dollars in fees and penalties, have their license suspended, be put on probation, serve 12 months in jail, and have a mark on their record. If you are at risk of facing serious consequences for reckless driving, we suggest getting advice from a misdemeanor attorney in Morgantown, WV as soon as possible.
Understanding Your Situation
We understand that you may be worried about your finances and future after the arrest. It can help to have a legal professional working on your side, that can advocate for your character during court hearings. All we ask is that you remain open and honest with us about your criminal background. If we do not understand the entirety of your history, we may unknowingly create an unsuitable defense for you. You do not have to worry about us judging you, as we are here to help.
The criminal defense lawyers at Adams Legal Group, PLLC would be happy to meet with you at your convenience to talk more about what we can do for you, in your defense of reckless driving charges. Call us today for your free initial consultation – (304) 381-2166.