WV Criminal Defense Attorney
A good criminal defense attorney that WV residents respect will believe that it is your constitutional right to a solid defense. At Adams Legal Group, PLLC, we are diligent defenders of the fourth amendment, a critical part of the constitution, which states “The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” In our experience in criminal defense law, we feel that far too many people are charged with unreasonably harsh jail-time among other severe penalties. A quality criminal defense attorney understands those cases are often the result of a poor defense. We understand how a drug possession conviction can negatively impact a person’s future. A criminal record can affect employment opportunities, loan approval, rental applications and child custody arrangements. It is our professional legal duty to provide a well-prepared case that accurately reflects your situation and sheds some light on how we as a society should be more nurturing in how we handle the rights of our citizens. You deserve a future that is not marked by a minor mistake with criminal implications. The criminal defense lawyers at Adams Legal Group, PLLC will fight for you throughout the criminal process. The following information clearly lays out our methods of defense and highlights our commitment to providing a defense that may reduce or even get the charges dropped.
Our approach is that of hard-nosed investigation of how the arrest occurred:
- How was the search and seizure conducted- was there probable cause? It is unlawful for police to randomly make traffic stops. In fact, the police need a viable reason to search your person or possessions.
- How did police handle the situation? Were you read your Miranda rights?
- Wrong place at the wrong time? Were you aware of the presence of drugs?
A top WV criminal defense attorney will also understand the laws as they change and are updated. Some substances, marijuana for example, have different state and federal laws. Different drugs carry different penalties as well. For example, in West Virginia, recent changes to the law now make methamphetamine crimes carry aggravated sentences above other drug-related crimes. We are well versed in the different classifications of drugs and the best defense for your particular situation.
What is the charge?
- Simple possession- There is evidence of knowingly possessing a drug for personal use (i.e., marijuana, cocaine, LSD, heroin or prescription drugs without a prescription).
- Possession of paraphernalia- The charge is related to possession of paraphernalia with drug residue present (i.e., pipe or bong)
- Possession with intent to sell (felony)- There is a larger quantity of the drug along with other evidence such as large amounts of cash, baggies, scales, and/or weapons.
A good criminal defense attorney is one who is compassionate, thorough, and experienced in the area of your arrest. The attorneys at The Adams Legal Group, PLLC are all of that. We have many years of experience in the world of criminal defense, specifically with drug possession charges. We believe a good defense in the only defense. It is our mission to support and represent you to the very letter of the law. Contact us today so a criminal defense attorney Morgantown, WV trusts can begin helping you!