Morgantown Vehicle Accident Attorney Answers Top Things To Do Following A Car Crash
Immediately following a motor vehicle accident, there are definitive things that you should do for the best health, safety and legal outcomes. The top West Virginia car crash lawyers at Adams Legal Group, PLLC have seen too many instances of poor health outcomes or bad legal outcomes, because people do not know what they should do after being involved in an accident.
Too many times good people have been denied the basic rights to their insurance claims because they did not know the right procedure to follow. In the case of car accidents, this can happen more often because the individual is already under a lot of stress. If the correct procedures are not followed after a car accident, your insurance company could very well reject your claim.
We know the emotionally and physically draining effects a motor vehicle accident can have, which is why we have tried to simplify the process so that you can remember it when you need it the most. Keep these post auto-accident steps in mind so that the whole procedure of getting legal help and claiming insurance can go ahead smoothly.
WV Vehicle Accident Lawyer’s Best Advice On Steps To Take After An Accident
- Check for injuries: We cannot stress this point enough. Checking for injuries immediately after an accident is important for your personal safety and for legal purposes. If you find that you are badly injured, you should seek medical help as soon as possible. If you can, then dial 911 or ask someone who is around to call. Do not try to move if you are in a lot of pain or bleeding. Only once you have been treated and are out of danger should you ask for a copy of the medical report, this will be important to show that your injuries were caused by the accident.
- Record the accident: If you can move about and have made sure that you are not seriously injured (although we suggest that you do get yourself checked as soon as possible), then take note of everything that is happening. Take pictures and videos of the accident scene including any physical injuries and damage to your vehicle. Also get a picture of license plate number and the other car or truck involved in the accident. Use a voice recorder to record your memories of the accident while the events are still fresh.
- Get witness information: Talk to the people who were at the scene as ask them their accounts of what happened. Also, take names and contact information of witnesses to help the police if there is an investigation.
- Cooperate with the police: While you do not have to volunteer any information or admit fault to the police, you will still need to answer their questions. If you need to you can ask to have your lawyer present before you say anything. But keep in mind never to assume the blame regardless of the situation.
- Call your lawyer: You might be in a state of shock soon after the accident and might not be able to remember all the steps that you have to take. At a time like this call a family member or friend to help you, but also call a top WV motor vehicle accident attorney that Morgantown and West Virginia residents rely on from Adams Legal Group, PLLC.